Fulton County Superior Court Judge Kelly Ellerbe is recusing herself from a legal battle between Gov. Brian Kemp and Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms over how to respond to the coronavirus pandemic.
After eulogizing the late John Lewis on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms on Sunday returned to her feud with Gov. Brian Kemp, who has gone to court to block a city ordinance intended to tighten pandemic restrictions on residents.
Last week, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner also discussed his proposal to the state’s governor for a two-week shutdown due to the rise in cases. He said the city needed to “reset,” especially as leaders begin conversations about reopening schools. Turner’s proposal parallels what Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announced last week.
He served a little more than one term, from his election in 1981 until his 1986 resignation to run for Congress.
In his first elected office, Lewis served as an at-large councilman from 1982-1986. He was a proponent for transparency measures and neighborhood control.
Atlanta will lower flags to half-staff indefinitely to honor Rep. John Lewis, who represented the city for more than 30 years in Congress before his death, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said Saturday.
Gov. Brian Kemp’s administration went to court Thursday seeking to block Atlanta from enacting coronavirus restrictions and requiring residents to wear masks, setting up a legal showdown between the state and local governments over efforts to contain the disease.
DeKalb County and at least six local cities recently mandated the wearing of masks in public places. The ordinances defied what was, at the time, a general prohibition on municipalities adopting coronavirus-related restrictions more stringent than those outlined by Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp.
The governor’s order, signed late Wednesday, puts the state on a collision course with local leaders and public health experts who say requiring face coverings is an essential step to containing the spread of the coronavirus.
In compliance with the City of Atlanta’s announcement to revert to Phase 1 public health precautions for COVID-19, the Woodruff Park’s Atlanta from the Ashes: Downtown History Tours are suspended until further notice.