Special Event Permits for the Sale of Alcohol

June 15, 2016

The Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) requested GMA to provide the following information about the issuance of special event permits for the sale of alcohol.

None of a city's legal or regulatory responsibilities have changed, and a city still has the authority to require a local permit for special events. However, many permitees are unaware that a state special event permit is also needed from the Department of revenue.

These DOR guidelines will assist both the city and permitees in obtaining the state special event permit.

Back to Listing