The Office of Adult Education is pleased to announce its multi-year adult education grant competition. Eligible providers can apply to receive federal and state matching funds, provided under the Adult Education & Family Literacy Act, to provide adult education and literacy activities to individuals over the age of 16 without a high school diploma or who are basic-skills deficient, as well as English language learners. There are two grant opportunities available:
- General Adult Education Grants (provided with funds under WIOA Sections 231 & 225, as well as state matching funds) allow eligible adult education providers to offer adult basic education, adult secondary education, English language acquisition programs, integrated education and training, workplace preparation activities, corrections education, and family literacy.
- Integrated English Literacy & Civics Education Grants (provided with funds under WIOA Section 243) allow eligible adult education providers to offer integrated English literacy and civics education programs in combination with integrated education and training.
Per section 203 of WIOA and 34 CFR § 463.23, an organization that has demonstrated effectiveness in providing adult education and literacy activities is eligible to apply for a grant. These organizations may include, but are not limited to:
- A local educational agency
- A community-based organization or faith-based organization
- A volunteer literacy organization
- An institution of higher education
- A public or private nonprofit agency
- A library
- A public housing authority
- A nonprofit institution that is not described above and has the ability to provide adult education and literacy activities to eligible individuals
- A consortium or coalition of the agencies, organizations, institutions, libraries, or authorities described above
- A partnership between an employer and any entity described above.
If you have a question about the current adult education grant opportunities, please submit your question using this online form
or send an email to Serena C. Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org