Ways to Serve
Whether you’re a newly elected official, or an elected official or city staff who has been serving your community for a while, GMA wants to make getting involved in the work of the association easy for you. Follow the links below to learn more about the variety of ways that you can serve with fellow city officials from across the state.
- Serve Your District: GMA is divided into twelve districts, and each district has a set of District Officers.
- Serve on the GMA Board: GMA’s leadership is made up of a Board of Directors and several Boards of Trustees comprised of city officials throughout the state.
- Serve on Policy Committees: GMA’s six standing policy committees serve as forums for city officials to hear about the status of legislative and policy issues and as channels for advancing recommendations to the GMA Legislative Policy Council (LPC).
- Serve on a Policy Council: GMA’s Legislative Policy Council (LPC) is the focal point for the Association’s legislative policy effort under the Gold Dome. GMA’s Federal Policy Council is the focal point for the Association’s federal policy efforts. These two councils combine their efforts and input of GMA’s six standing Policy Committees with its district outreach effort.
- Serve on an Advisory Council: GMA has three advisory councils: Member Service, Municipal Workforce, and Youth
- Serve on the Training Board: The Municipal Training Board provides oversight for the Harold F. Holtz Municipal Training Institute, a training program designed to help city officials enhance their knowledge and skills in municipal related matters.
- Serve on the RMEBS Boards: Fifteen trustees, each of whom is an employee or elected or appointed official of a participating city, provide oversight for the following Risk Management and Employee Benefits Services Programs administered by GMA: Georgia Municipal Employees Benefit System (“GMEBS”), Georgia Municipal Association Workers’ Compensation Self-Insurance Fund (“GMA WCSIF”), Georgia Interlocal Risk Management Agency (“GIRMA”) and GMA Defined Contribution and Deferred Compensation Program (“GMA DCDC Program”). Collectively, the GMEBS, GMA WCSIF, GIRMA and GMA DCDC Program boards are referred to as the “RMEBS Boards”.